Tuesday, June 8, 2010

I Used to Love 'Him'

"So what is the difference between 'rap' and Hip-hop?...it's simple. It's like the difference between you saying you love somebody...and being in love with somebody. 'Rap' is just a word!" -Brown Sugar

Hip Hop has never been a form of music to me. Its a lifestyle. The way you dress, the music, the walk, the talk, its just a form of life. For me, Hip-Hop has had such an impact on my life. It's one of the very few things I know, will always be there for me. The way I feel when I hear the sounds of all the instruments and real lyrics, is inexplainable. I titled this piece "I used to love him" merely because of the fact that Hip-Hop is long gone, also inspired by Common's old school song 'I used to Love Her'. The passion and intellegence mc's use to have, is far from how it is now. Hip-hop will never be the same it was, back in the day! Its beyond annoying seeing how many rappers get signed now-a-days, and how quick it is to get a radio hit. "You want that bull****, turn the radio on."-Wale. Rap is so trash, theres no heart in it, its such a waste of space, but Hip-hop....its somethin different. I feel like I'm on another planet when I'm jammin to it, lol. Hip-hop inspires me on many levels, it keeps me sane and focused. Now some of these new artists comin out, i gotta give it to em, they're doin their thing...but it'll never be the same as how the legends don did it. "Whenever I got lonely, or needed some advice, he gave me his shoulder, his words were very nice."-Erykah Badu. There's no other way to explain my passion towards this lifestyle except "Music is my total exisistence, everything in my life revolves around music." -the great/late J.dilla. I've really been wanting to get all this off my chest, but it's far too much to explain.."And i know that everyone who loves the music, feels the same way i do." -Brown Sugar! Thanks for reading..

Much love, Keep God First!
-Asmara M.

1 comment: